View Single Post
Old 02-02-16, 08:50 AM   #8
Majestik 909
Planesman

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodenboat View Post
I've already discovered completely by accident, just what you guys are describing in this thread. I just described my experience in another thread and now, by reading your posts here, I'm on the right path to enlightenment.

Are you kidding me????

Oh now I've GOT to try that.
Get familiar with running "decks awash" on some approaches. This refers to running partially surfaced with only your main deck and conning tower out of the water - you won't make as much speed, but you will present a smaller silhouette. I also use the sun and moonlight as an advantage when approach course permits.

I will sometimes run with only my conning tower out of the water. I can still man the bridge with binoculars in this state. I can make more speed in this state than fully submerged.

Also, before surfacing, take a look around. Many times I have had no sound contacts and yet surfaced near a task force. Also, beware of surfacing to admire your work as a ship is sinking. Armed merchants and warships can still fire on you while ablaze and sinking.

Good luck....
Previous Kommandant U-196 - 400,317 GRT - Current Kommandant U-847 - 592,000 GRT - Monsun Gruppe 33 - Codename - Majestik - "Kommen flach! Alles ruhig! Machen umdrehungen für zwei knoten! Bis periskop!!!"
Majestik 909 is offline   Reply With Quote