View Single Post
Old 12-25-18, 03:20 PM   #486
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Downloads: 31
Uploads: 0

So I finally managed to get a workable SSTO design, and although I've re-built it with different engines multiple times, it's still my workhorse...

So I returned to Eve and managed to land on dry ground...
Then I had a few contracts pop up for Duna and Ike.
So I decided I would make a rover and go that way since I have had all the rover wheels unlocked for a while.

I'm using the MK3 parts for the core of my SSTO, with engines on the sides of the Fuselage/Wings.
Using the Large Truss I built a frame to hold engines, wings and landing gear so I could "fly" the Rover in to orbit (then jettison the wings/etc), land on Ike, then decouple the rover, and later the 'frame'.

So I functionaly "towed" my rover to Ike.

Ran around a bunch to do some surface 'science' contracts (gravity I think).

Sent a ship with room for more crew since my SSTO only holds 4.
Did another science contract with the SSTO, picked up the crew with the 2nd ship, then put both of them in orbit...
And started my return trip for both.

First time I've used the Inflatable Heat Shield for returning to Kerbin (built many, just never used it because of space constraints) and got down to 150m/s about 5000m altitude before I dropped it and popped the parachutes.

Landed the SSTO and now I'm looking squarely at Jool.
Debating how to do it.
Single Ship?
Station and Satelites with rovers to collect ore and make fuel?

More decisions...

Also orbital docking is (more or less) "easy" now.
If it's just for fuel transfers, I keep a claw handy. Although there isn't always a place to "grab" the other craft!

Unless there is a mod where Kerbals can EVA to hook up fuel lines?
Which is functionally what I use the claw for...

Barracuda

Last edited by BarracudaUAK; 12-27-18 at 01:53 PM.
BarracudaUAK is offline   Reply With Quote