View Single Post
Old 12-06-08, 04:44 PM   #33
peabody
Admiral

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltos01

Photographic analysis conducted by the United States Naval Institute in 1999 indicates one of the five Ko-hyoteki-class submarines managed to enter Pearl Harbor, and successfully fired a torpedo into the USS West Virginia. The submarine's final resting place is unknown.
I saw a special on that and they didn't convince me. There are several scientists that disagree with the conclusions arrived at by the research team. I saw the photos and listened to the discussion and saw the lighting etc and I, as well as many others, are not convinced that it was a minisub. I am not saying it wasn't just that I was not convinced by the evidence they presented, especially the photograph. They claim the screw broached the surface and made some 'rooster tails' but here is the other side of it. (only a portion of a big article which states it is possible but not proven)

Quote:
2) The idea of the mini-submarine's screws broaching and creating the three sequential splashes is questionable for several reasons:
  • If the mini-submarine broached, it was more likely to be nose-up, not tail-up due to the lost weight of the torpedoes.
  • If the screws broke the surface, then why didn't the conning tower and especially the periscope also broach? As mentioned previously, it's somewhat more likely that the mini-submarine would have gone nose-up if it struck a pressure wave, which would push the conning tower and periscope out of the water first. Both are more likely to raise a larger and more significant splash.
  • If the mini-submarine pitched so far nose-down as to broach the screws without also broaching the conning tower and periscope, then a simple geometric exercise shows that it would have struck its nose into the shallow bottom.
  • If significant portions of the mini-submarine broached between the concussion waves, why then was there no sighting by the many eyes anxiously brought to that area of the harbor in anticipation of the next torpedo to strike?
So, even though I agree it was possible, I am not convinced it happened.

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

peabody is offline   Reply With Quote