Old 02-16-19, 11:51 AM   #45
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaowl View Post
@gap
Sorry for the belated reply, but I had quite a busy week.
Nonetheless I made some progress.
No problem mate

Quote:
It seems that this problem is solved.

Jeff-Groves solution posted here:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...0&postcount=79
worked in this case too
Thanks to Jeff once again.
Short description of what I did: In Blender I made a plane-mesh with the side length of 50.000 m and about 1132 below 0 (not exactly 1000 to avoid conflicts).
This mesh I called collision_fresnel and imported it into the Fresnel GR2 file (luckily there was a free „mesh-slot“).
From now on lighthouses are visible from about 17-18km without preciding activation using the free camera.
It works great.
So the rendering range issue affects equipments as well as land units. Is that correct?

Every new discovery we make, is lesser brain racking the next time we will have to deal with similar issues. Well done on that!

Quote:
For the light shining trought walls, I found a solution too:
In the settings of the particle controller, you have to set the „depth buffer test“ to „true“ or (in goblin editor) to „yes“.
That was an easy fix, I knew you would have found the "magic" setting

Quote:
As far as I know there were six sizes or six orders (and several sub orders) of fresnel
lenses.
Or at least I saw a table relating to US lighthouse lenses.
On the other hand I do not know, if the same is valid for lenses in France, Great Britain, Ireland, Sweden, Germany...
will do some research, how they grouped their lenses...
But to get to the point: It would be great to have several Fresnel lense models combined in one Fresnel file inside the library.
If you could send me a file with different models and textures, I would try to do so.
You are right about the six main orders (IIRC there were also a couple of intermediate orders). I should have saved somewhere some tables with pictures/drawings of them and their relevant data including sizes and ranges.

If memory serves me well, Fresnel lenses were a French pantent and between late XIX century and mid XX century they were used all around the world, some them still being in use. Not all the lighthouses had Fresnel lenses installed though. A good example of that was the old Helgoland lighthouse (the one built in 1902 and destroyed by Aliied bombings in 1945), which had a custom-made and very powerful lens installed:

Anyway, if I remember correctly I have a couple of Fresnel lenses modelled and textured, though right now I can't say which order they belong to. They are made according to the data I mentioned above, so they should be pretty accurate, though low-poly. If you think you can put them to use, I can check them and send them your way

Quote:
However first of all I have to take a little break from lighthouses,
mainly because I´m eager to import some vessel into GR2 files.
I think DivingDucks fishing boat would be a good beginning?
Sure it would!

Quote:
Moreover I have discovered the moles of Malta.
(how much stuff is buried into these files, I had never seen in game...)
I suppose it is not difficult to make separate land units out of them.
At Memel they could be useful to do the „white lighthouse“ at harbor entrance for example.
Yes, there is a lot of unfinished / unused stuff in stock files that is only waiting for us to finish it and put it in game

Quote:
And I had a look at Kendras site: among other cool things, he creates really great lighting stuff.
Yes, I call him the king of special effects

Quote:
As a beginner I tend to overdo all these things just to see the difference.

Meanwhile I have turned down the normal map.
In fact it looks much better now.
If you don't try you never know. Keep doing your experiments!

Quote:
To tell the truth: All the lighthouse files - and especially the textures - will still need some fine or even rough tuning.
I will keep you informed.
Let's keep in touch!
gap is offline   Reply With Quote