View Single Post
Old 01-27-18, 10:02 PM   #1
Nikdunaev
Sailor man

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0
Default Torpedo data computer

Hello!

I just recently came back to playing the Silent Hunter series after a pretty long break and thought I need to refresh my knowledge of the subject a bit.

Then I found this thread http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=221540

After reading through some of the historical documents that are linked in the first post I noticed one thing. The Submarine Torpedo Fire Control Manual refers to the torpedo data computer as Mark 4 TDC. At the same time the computer manual from the same thread is for the Mark 3.
So I am wondering what is the difference between the Mark 3 and the Mark 4 TDC? Which one do we have modeled in the game?
I was only able to find out that four was introduced later in the war and had an additional block called the receiver. But pretty much no information on what it does and what changes in operation of the instrument.

Also as I understand there should be a manual for Mark 4 similar to that for Mark 3 that we have and also another paper on each of them describing the operation rather their internal workings. Does anyone have a copy of any of those or know where it can be found? I am sure many subsimmers would love to read them.

Any help appreciated!
Nikdunaev is offline   Reply With Quote