View Single Post
Old 08-21-17, 05:24 PM   #2
speed150mph
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 35
Uploads: 0

I'm spitballing here but I'm going to guess that it's because you can't aim it. There are only two basic types of SAM, radar guided and heat seaking.

Radar guided would be nearly suicide as you'd be asking for death to sit at periscope with a radar mast up long enough to send off your missile. So that's a bust.

Heat seekers are a more feasible solution except for one problem. The seekers are very short range and have to be heading straight towards the target pretty well to lock on. In a submarine it is very hard to pin down a helos position to get a firing bearing. Also they are very easily distracted, the sun makes a very good target for a heat seeker.

There's also the fact that helos in perticular are usually pretty close to the surface, so your missile would have a very narrow window of time to lock on to the target and would in all likelyhood not detect the target, or find it too late to turn into it before it passes