View Single Post
Old 08-16-17, 06:28 AM   #546
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLF View Post
Haven't tried what you suggested here as I think, having started several missions, it varies so much I have to put it down to imagination...
I have tried that myself, but it didn't work: the one wind direction that those particles are subject to, is the one set in particle generator's settings

Quote:
The hard line was still apparent with DepthBias set to 5, so increased to 6 and no line.
Sometimes it works, some other times it doesn't

Quote:
Hi gap,

I've PM'd you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLF
Hi Gap,

Thought I'd PM you with my findings on scale.
I took a screen shot of a type VIIC against La Plate. I imported it into MS Visio, and scaled it.
The height from W/L to top of the sub's conning tower is 4.2m
The height of La Plate real-life is 9.5m (Wikipedia)
However the in-game height of La Plate is 26m

https://www.mediafire.com/file/fbs61...La%20Plate.jpg
I hope you don't mind me answering your remark in public, but as usual my inbox is nearly full.

I know the Wikipedia article about La Plate, but I think it got its focal plane wrong. My model is base instead on data from The Lighthouse Directory, where it is stated:

Quote:
focal plane 19 m (62 ft); nine very quick white flashes every 10 s. 26 m (85 ft) octagonal solid reinforced concrete tower with gallery but no lantern.
Our model's overall heigh is exactly 26m, measured from the bottom of the (semi-)submerged base to the top of the concrete tower, and its height a.s.l is about 19m. This is not considering the metal platform, which has been removed in recent years (the lantern having been subsequently moved to a much lower position than originally meant):

Model's proportions are base on several picture available on the web. Had I scaled the model based on the focal plane stated by Wikipedia, or had I considered the 19m figure as relative to the original lantern position, railings and ladders would have been too short/narrow. At the current scale, those elements look more or less in proportion with the current standars.
gap is offline   Reply With Quote