View Single Post
Old 04-05-14, 08:52 PM   #17
Tupolev
Hauptman

Downloads: 75
Uploads: 0

My own personal experiences has shown target speed to be the absolute most critical factor for accuracy. The most accurate way (in my experiences) to estimate target speed is to steer a parallel course and match speed to the target.

All you need to do is plot the target's course, steer that course, then adjust your speed until the relative bearing to the target no longer changes. Your speed = target speed. If you're shooting 90 AOB and 0 gyro, accurate range isn't going to be a factor.

Now, being able to tell if you're speeds are correctly matched can be hard in heavy seas, but thats the added challenge in crappy weather. I'll often give up on an attack in situations like that.

If I'm forced to attempt a submerged attack or otherwise can't match speeds on the surface, I think fixed-wire is a better estimate than a plotting estimate. You can take lots fixed-wire measurements and average them in the same time it takes to plot.

On the other hand, I've also played using WO assistance and just cranked the failure % on h.sie's patch to replicate misses.

T
Tupolev is offline   Reply With Quote