View Single Post
Old 09-07-09, 01:40 AM   #101
magic452
Sea Lord

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

@ distortion

To shoot a true vector analysis solution you will have a 0° gyro angle, speed = 0 and AoB = 0 and bearing = 0. The only time you hit the send button is to set these values. A 0 gyro angle will send the torpedo right down your course line. If you move the scope to any bearing other than 0° and hit the send button you will change the gyro angle and therefore the torpedo track.

Once you have your shooting bearings just point the scope to that bearing but don't hit the send button. Fire when the part of the target you want to hit is in the cross hairs. Wait till the second target gets to it's shooting bearing and do the same. The two targets must be very close to each other for this to work, that is why I shot at ships in two different columns at a 60° approach.

I tried to get a single column type of shot off today but no way it would work, too much distance between the targets. By the time I was able to shoot the second ship it had already reacted to the first being hit and changed course and speed.

What I had was a large troop transport (9494 tons) followed by about 200 yards by a DD (2700 tons) and that followed by a very large transport (18765 tons) by some 1,400 yards.

I shot the first ship with a 31 knot vector shot and then just adjusted a few degrees and shot the DD, both sank. For the other transport I just used a position keeper shot as he was slowing and turning, got him also.

Not a bad days work, almost 31,000 tons with only 6 torpedos and not a single DC dropped any were near me, shot from 2800 yards.

As far as sending a different gyro angle to shoot a second ship I don't know how you could plot that out. But it may be worth a look and see if it
can be done. Darn it now you got me thinking and it hurts.

You might be able to do something like that with the O"Kane method but I don't use that so I don't know.

Magic

Reported lost 11 Feb. 1942
Signature by depthtok33l
magic452 is offline   Reply With Quote