View Single Post
Old 09-06-09, 02:30 AM   #97
magic452
Sea Lord

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

@ Distortion Good work on the vector shots, to get two different ships at once takes a little practice.

You can shoot both a 31 Kn and 46 Kn vector solutions at the same time.

What I do is approach the target course line at about 60° AoB.

For a convoy pick a target in the first column for the 31 Kn shot and a target in the second column for the 46 Kn. shot. With a 60° AoB the two ships will almost overlap at the time you shoot. The slow speed will hit first so you must adjust your targeting towards the stern of the second to allow for it slowing down. Did this just yesterday for a total of 18,000 tons, two very large freighters. You want to shoot from about 1,700 yards so the high speed torps have a chance to catch up with the slow ones.
With a little experimenting with the range you should be able to get almost simultaneous hits on both ships.

What Rockin Robbins says is very true, You must get very good speed and course data and be able to adjust for conditions and errors.
With a 60° approach you must get everything right, there is little room for error. When trying to shoot both high and low speed the range is critical so you get near simultaneous hits and it takes somewhat longer ranges to do this.

As with any firing solution, conditions play a big part, very good visibility may allow the target to see the torpedo wakes and start to slow and turn.
If possible I will tail the convoy and try to set up a night attack.

Haven't tried this against warships yet, they are a different can of worms.
They see the torpedos sooner and react faster than merchants.

I may have a shot at it tomorrow. Setting up on 5 ships running line astern. Don't know what they are yet but looks like warships. I have an early save so I can try different set ups. This will be a night attack so I think I can pull it off.

Good luck and good hunting. Stick with the vector shots I think you will like them.

Magic

Reported lost 11 Feb. 1942
Signature by depthtok33l
magic452 is offline   Reply With Quote