View Single Post
Old 01-02-18, 10:38 AM   #9
Bubblehead Nuke
XO

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET2SN View Post
It sounds like we're both talking about "Crash Backs".

I had a buddy who was standing throttleman watch after we finally got good old Ustafish out of a long overhaul.
Our skipper had been talking about doing crash back drills so up in Control it wasn't that big of a surprise when the OOD ordered a backing bell while we were cruising along.
I guess the skipper didn't like the reaction time (putting it mildly) and he set a speed record sprinting from Control to Manuvering.

Allegedly, our skipper took control of the throttles manually while he chewed out my bud and the RO.

Now, anyone who ever stood watch back aft or made it through quals in general can say, "Hey, that part of the story IS REALLY MESSED UP!!" and you would be right.

Getting back on topic, yeah you could order a backing bell IRL if the situation is dire enough but we're talking about a game where the whole point is to beat the Devs.
Beat the devs.. yeah... that is a good way to put it. If we could make this game even 40% consistent with actual ops people would lose their minds.

To give more detail for those who are wondering:

There are two sets of throttle. One controls spinning the screw in ONE direction, one turns it the other direction.

I can not go into the physical plant layout but I can tell you this with 100% certainty. You do not EVER open the astern throttles to slow down. The ONLY time they are opened is to spin the screw in the opposite direction.

As an aside. If you are streaming the tail and you answer a backing bell then you can with almost 100% certainty loose the tail. Bad day in the sonar shack.
Bubblehead Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote