View Single Post
Old 01-23-17, 09:21 AM   #8
badwolf
XO

Downloads: 59
Uploads: 0
Default Mod conflictions

I have seen lots of posts in the past where they have mod conflictions. They have worked around the problem by installing mods in different order until it works. This method will always result in losing some part of one of the mods. although it may be minor and unnoticable.
i.e. If 2 mods have the same file changed, whichever mod is installed last will have that file, but the previous installed mod will not, it is overwritten by the 2nd mod.

I always check and merge any mods that I install, this has always resulted in an untroubled installation.

Merging mods is usually easy, very rarely does mods change the same line in a data files.

Usually the only software needed is winmerge.

How to do it

First you need Sh3 installed, then install your supermod i.e. GMX or NYGM or LSH3.
This will be the ROOT of the game installation and all mod comparisons are against this root setup.
JSGME needs to be installed so you can install/uninstall the mods as/or if required.

You then make a list of the file changes of all the mods to be installed.
Note - If a mod is not specifically for your supermod, then you have to make this mod compatable first.

Next you take note which mod files are identical/conflict with any other mod in your list.

Now you have a list of all the mod files that conflict.

You then make a folder in your JGSM and give it a name i.e. Mods_Updates.

Then you go into your SH3 supermod installation and copy all the files that conflict, into your Mods_Updates folder. Note - these must be each contained in the file folders path.

Now to change the first file conflict

In Winmerge first load the file from the Mods_Update folder and also second from your 1st mod conflict. Note which lines are different with Winmerge comparison.

Then repeat with the other mod that conflicts.

Now you have a list of what lines are altered by each mod for the first data confliction.

If any lines are changed by both mods, very rare, you have to find out what the line does and change it to make both mods work.

If the mods change different lines, then just copy these lines and overwrite them in the Mods_Update folder file.

Thats the first conflict resolved. Do the same for the rest of the mod file conflictions.

Installing mods

Now you have the mods you intend to install in your JGSM. You can now install these mods in any order. Lastly you install the Mods_Update folder, these now will overwrite conflictions and install your merged files.

This topic is hard to explain how to do, but I assure you it is very easy when you compare mod conflicts to the root installation setup.

Hope this helps
Badwolf.
badwolf is offline   Reply With Quote