Thread: [WIP] Day of Infamy
View Single Post
Old 06-10-15, 03:00 AM   #64
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:
My impression of the AI sub workings, is that there is no-connection between the torpedo tubes and the AI. Meaning that they won't be able to attack without some kind of innovation to help them out. Do you know if this is true or not?
AFAIK the only units in SH4 that can attack with torpedoes (real torpedoes) are the aircraft. They also can go up and down. I suggested some time ago to fake a submarine with an aircraft inverting properties i.e. it would raise to peri depth to shoot the torpedo and then sink again after shooting. IIRC someone gave it a try and said that travelling at sub speed was impossible for an air unit. I don't remember if that was for SH3 and not SH4, though. Maybe doing a quick try with an aircraft replacing the model by the 3d of a sub and tinkering around with the unit properties would point out if this is possible at all?

OTH any AI can shoot guns, and you can fake a torpedo with a gun. Someone even attached a real torpedo with wake and all to an invisible gun shell that travelled very slow, but I am not sure how it all ended.

This is one of those things that could eventually be faked by some alternative & creative thinking, but I'm too much out of the SH4 loop right now to be able to take care of it

UBI already put a japanese AI submarine in the game, but I don't know what AI it uses, was it a fake surface ship, a docked ship or something else?