View Single Post
Old 05-21-17, 06:49 AM   #26
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bracer View Post
What features/functionality would you like to see in a Battleship simulator?

Alot of the ground work is done, so I'm making plans for how to proceed and which features needs their own algorithms in the program.
This is one of those things where you can aim for the sky really ...

But being reasonable my wish for such a sim would concentrate on two aspects: Addictiveness and replay value.

For the first I understand a sim that provides the player with interesting tasks that absorbe his attention and require both thinking and ability, properly trained. A learning curve must be there, but also be possible.
In this area I place:

1) Gunnery simulation, i.e. you must be able to locate targets, track them, train guns, select ammo and pull the trigger or let the game do it.
2) Tactical simulation, as being able to rely the gunning to the crew and move the ship just by general orders, as in the usual classic bird eye perspective. Ability to interact with other units in your side is important, call aero attacks, have DDs scout for you, etc.
3) Navigation simulation, as the ship must react properly to orders and have a believable sailing model. I think you are already on your way with that in the engine areas f.e.

Some people like crew and damage management, personally I don't rate any of those as specially interesting, but to each his own.

For the second I tend to focus on a dynamic or at least random campaign. Sailing into the unknown and having to react to whatever you find is essential. Nothing is saddest and more killjoy than a canned mission where you basically replay it several times until you find the trick to pass it.