View Single Post
Old 04-29-10, 03:56 PM   #20
morttheslayer
Soundman

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Kids and other stuff all reassuringly expensive

Hi Darren
Yes it's good to have children, they say it keeps you young but with me the opposite occurred!!
Looking at your specs it's would seem a mixture of good and bad news.
First the good news your Hard Disk looks OK

No I'm having a joke mate, generally your system is a bit light especially for TvsT. What I would do is see how far you can optimise what you've got to see if you can survive until you can upgrade or get a newer PC.
Firstly you have a good OS for TvsT IMO. When you bring up Task Manager (Cntrl Alt Delete) how many processes are running and what are they taking in resources? I get slowdowns and my system isn't a slouch by any means and I run TvsT with just 18 background (essential) processes or applications.
I can post my apps running if yours are top heavy (i.e. you've got 30-40 apps running) and you can shut some of yours down and see if my apps work for you OK.
Mostly it should but there is some trial and error. You can safely turn off a significant number to improve or free up spare capacity. The worst you can do with this is cause a shutdown which will not harm the system at all it will re-start as normal - all you need to do if it does this is keep that particular app running next time!
Then bottom out all the Game options like shadows, model detail, forest animation, grass etc etc. Horrible to contemplate I know but must be tried to see what the performance can translate into gameplay and FPS.
I apologise in advance if you have already tried this BTW.
However if not let me know what you find, and what you decide
- All the Best - Mort
morttheslayer is offline   Reply With Quote