View Single Post
Old 05-28-14, 07:41 PM   #1149
Alfamemnon
Watch

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Knot View Post
I know it's off topic, but I've never understood the persistence of this fantasy of a secret Axis base lingering on somewhere in the Antarctic. Maybe it has it's origins in the brief German expedition to Queen Maud Land in 1938. An expedition concerned mainly with establishing a whaling base, and which never spent more than a day on the ice shelf. But then, polar myth-making has gone on for centuries. The Greeks and medieval Europeans imagined Thule, a land off the northern edge of the map. Off the top of my head, I can think of Dr. Frankenstein pursuing his monster to the Arctic, Edgar Allan Poe's Gordon Pym, Superman's Arctic fortress of solitude, and the secret alien Antarctic bases in the X-Files movie and Alien vs Predator. The list is as long as the polar winters.

Perhaps it's because the empty ice becomes a convenient stage on which to project lurid imaginings or wishes. If you can imagine Amundsen's expedition eating their huskies at 40 degrees below, it's not such a stretch to picture Adolf, Dr. Mengele and Eva chipping ice from the walls of their lair to chill their gin and tonics. I suppose such extreme regions are a particularly good spot to hatch a conspiracy theory. Until recently, the people that went there had a habit of not coming back. And when they did, they told stories of unimaginable cold and wind, freezing deserts, strange creatures and mind-boggling hardship.

Many of the world's pollutants concentrate in the polar regions, carried there by wind and ocean currents. For some reason something similar seems to happen with our fantasies.
On a second thought...maybe it is not such a good idea after all to be implemented in this campaign. I was just thinking of adding some flavor to the storyline. I would otherwise have dismissed that legend about secret Axis base in Antarctica as just another untrue rumor but I was wondering where the heck did those submarines that appeared like Elektroboots (Type XXI uboats) come from that Argentine Navy spotted so long time after WWII that you would think they ran out of fuel and food tens of times without a harbor visit. That fact made me stop for a moment to think maybe there is some kind of a seed of truth to that legend.
Alfamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote