View Single Post
Old 02-10-17, 07:14 AM   #164
wizardmatt
Helmsman

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobared View Post
Whenever I activate the Fire Damage mod, the smoke columns from burning ships disappear instantly once the relevant sections sink below the waterline. Deactivating this mod returns the smoke particles to the normal behavior of fading out slowly over time.

When the Fire Damage mod is activated, the instantly disappearing smoke particles occur both with and without any other additional mods loaded.

All testing (tasting?) of various mod soups have been done in the first two naval academy missions. No patrols yet.

Searching the forums, it appears the problem once existed with the stock sim as well as with The Dark Wraith's lovely "SH4 effects for SH3," but I've so far found no reports of instantly disappearing smoke associated with the Fire Damage mod itself. I hope it's not just me. Any ideas of settings to tweak?
QFT. Confirming that the instantly-vanishing-smoke bug occurs with this mod, even if it is the only mod activated alongside your choice of FX mod. I have tested it not just with Racerboy's SH4 Effects - specifically v7, the reboot by asanovic7 - but also with GWX Enhanced Damage Effects and the FX component of Urfisch's Modstrike. In each case, all (child?) particles/smoke instantly vanish when the (parent?) source/fire disappears below the water.
I've looked at particles.dat+materials.dat in the various FX mods, plus the Fire Damage mod .dat, in both S3D and Hex Editor Neo (which I bought specifically to help with this issue). I'm pretty sure the problem is something to do with a conflict between the FX particles.dat and the Fire Damage mod .dat, somewhere in the particle generator sub-sections, and possibly the NoDeleteChildren and/or StopAllParticles variables. Another potential variable/s lie within the water interaction sub-section.
This is the final step in my decade long quest to install (what I consider to be) a definitive GWX setup. Having spent so long in Notepad++, WinMerge, etc, I am itching to just play the game before I spend more time learning Hex Editor. Any help and advice, to save me some time, would be gratefully received
wizardmatt is offline   Reply With Quote