View Single Post
Old 09-05-18, 08:31 AM   #2
Mike Abberton
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 42
Uploads: 0

It's been a while since I played RA (I think it was still 1.44 at the time), but here is my attempts at answers. Hopefully others can fill in more details/correct me if I am wrong.)

1. RA has a lot of torp settings that can be coded into the presets. Definitely check there for options (there is a whole PDF about RA weapon settings). But if you're using a wire-guided torpedo and set it to run below the layer, you should be able to change its depth when you feel it is close enough.

I believe that RA models the layer differently than stock though, and the surface ship might hear the torp coming at some point, definitely if it has its own tail out.

2. Not sure if there is such a thing as stealthy torps in RA. In theory a lower torp speed will make it harder to hear, but not sure that helps very much. Also use a torp with a propulsor if you have one. Attack from behind if the target does not have a towed array.

3. I don't remember the differences well enough between the SS-N-15 and SS-N-16 to offer you much guidance.

4. Other than determining whether it is above or below the layer and the sub's crush depth, it is not really possible to determine a sub's depth in the game. Typically the available depth band (layer to surface or layer to crush depth) is not big enough to matter much versus the torpedo search cone, if you had a good solution ahead of time and set the depth in the middle of the band.

Best recommendation is take it slow. Play some missions without worrying about accomplishing the mission and just practice TMA. Occasionally use "show truth" when training to see how good your solutions are. Read the "Red Book" in the downloads section while you are practicing TMA.

Next, read the weapons manual and play with the settings. They can be tricky to get right. Use Show Truth to see how they change the weapon behavior.
Mike Abberton is offline   Reply With Quote