View Single Post
Old 05-08-12, 01:34 PM   #19
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

It was obviously done for political reasons should not be that much of a shocker plenty of vessels are so named I personally think that vessels only be named after cities,states,battles,and persons that did a great deed as a member of the Navy(or other branch of service: example USS The Sullivans been a few of those since WWII the Navy brothers that all died on the same ship) There are plenty of Congressional Medal of Honor winner names to go around.Naming ships after any political person I do not like unless it is from or historic past over 100 years or longer ago).

For AVG:

http://www.nvr.navy.mil/nvrships/details/ake14.htm

It does not say how far in advance they choose the names but I doubt it is done more than a year or so before the build gets contracted which would be some time in 2008 it says that the Secretary of the Navy picks the names which means that they would do so around the time they give out the contract to build the thing that would be my guess.I am guessing that it was during Obamas time also the many articles about the reaction to the naming date from 2011 which implies that the name must have been selected some time in 2011.If they named ships several years in advance there would have been reaction to the naming at that time and not in 2011.

Last edited by Stealhead; 05-08-12 at 01:54 PM.
Stealhead is offline   Reply With Quote