View Single Post
Old 09-06-05, 07:38 AM   #171
Amizaur
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

As far as I know there is no Russian electric ASW torpedo with speed of 65kts (to not say 72kts). The torpedo used in SS-N-27 ASW missile is most probably very light MPT-1UE electric torpedo. There are ASW "underwater rockets" from APR family (ASW torpedos propelled by solid fuel) with speed of 65kts and more, but they are not used as payload in SS-N-27 ASW (too heavy) and have limited range (about 2nm). So there is no real life torpedo that DW's Type-40 (65kts to 7nm) could represent.
And many people complained that, as Type-40 impossible to evade because of it's speed set to 65kts (and because of game bug, the real torpedo speed was up to 73kts!!!). Don't know parameters of MPT-1UE torpedo, couldn't find it on the net (if someone knows, please tell us!), but every other Russian small electric torps were about 40kts. Because MPT-1UE is new design, it's possible that is capable of about 50kts I think. Most modern, state of the art western electric torpedos like MU-90 are capable of 50-55kts. More speed for Type-40 would be completly unrealistic I think.

BTW I'm back to work, will make the seekers now. Luftwolf are you sure you didn't set some noise levels too low ? Detection ranges lower than for Kilo Improved (NL < 55) are really close, sure realistic but are we doing hyper-realistic mod or one-step-fix mod of SCS database ? :-)
Amizaur is offline   Reply With Quote