View Single Post
Old 07-29-15, 02:49 AM   #44
AS
中国水兵

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 0
Default Please donīt!

A Remake of an excellent movie doesnīt seem to make any sense to me.

1) The original cast was awesome. Jürgen Prochnow is and always will be "Herr Kaleun". Any new actor would end up pretending to be Prochnow instead of pretending to be a U-Boat commander. German actor Til Schweiger did just that in a low budget U-Boat movie and failed. Thereīs more to it than scratching your beard. The same goes for all the other iconic characters.

Furthermore, the original cast consisted of many (totally) unkown actors, so the audience could easily identify with the bunch without being judgemental.

2) Das Boot lives from its atmosphere and real life appeal which derives from the fact that most of the things in the movie are real. Buchheim visited the U-Boat interiour model and was impressed how "real" it felt. He said: "I would have expected wood and cheap stage props, but no, they used solid metal and authentic stuff!" The movie is far from being a clichee and the best Thing about it is accuracy and historic Detail. Did you know the beer bottles they drink are actually historic ones?

Das Boot doesnīt need modern Special effects simply for the obvious reason that in WW2 there was nothing Special about "effects". We donīt Need CGI torpedoes. And donīt give us laser beams like in Steel Fury...

3) Notalgia. Do I have more to say? A-Team the movie might work for Kids, but it didnīt work for old me. The same goes for Star Wars...speaking of which:

PLEASE DO NOT STAR-WARIZE "Das Boot"!