View Single Post
Old 06-11-17, 08:08 AM   #145
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendras View Post
The best solution would be that you create the 3D model of the islands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_frog View Post
Kendras, why not starting right away?
Quote:
Are you offering your help to create Helgoland islands 3D model ?
Kendras, I am afraid making islands bigger than a rocky islet into 3D objects, is not the most efficient way to bring them in game.
Talking about Helgoland and Düne, what for sure can be done is creating a basic terrain representation of them (with the known limitations) and adding to them custom harbor models with fairly realistic docks, breakwaters, buildings etc. The historical pictures you have collected so far will be a valid help, and who cares if the final result wont be 100% identical to the real thing?
After all, the whole SH world is a simplified/distorted representation of the globe, but we still enjoy exploring it!

Quote:
Interesting tutorial :

Edit : Unfortunately, Helgoland is not represented on height maps of terrain.party.
I dont have Unity, but the heightmap interpolation can be done with similar results in Blender.
The website is cool, but at the moment only Americas and the westernmost portion of Europe is available. Even so, I tried exporting height dat for the Île de Sein, but all I got is a dark grey map. There are various other websites that heightmaps of the globe can be downloaded from, but unfortunately getting height information at such a small scale is pretty hard.
gap is offline   Reply With Quote