View Single Post
Old 07-18-07, 11:01 AM   #164
Xelif
Seaman

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I love this mod!

Been testing it out and have seen some fun things already - a large cargo ship took 2 torpedo hits and numerous deck gun hits, I got the unit destroyed message, but the cargo ship 'looked' alright. Crew abandoned ship and I waited around, curious. It took over 3 hours for the ship to settle into the water, a slow process that felt much more realistic than the instant-sink of normal SH4. I had evenly spaced the damage all along her water line and it was quite satisfying to watch the cargo ship simply slip beneath the waves while upright, without tipping to one side, breaking in half, having massive explosions, or other unrealistic interpretations of her damage. She just flooded from all damaged sides and compartments evenly This was, by the way, the LONGEST ship sink time I observed in my first patrol.

About firing at destroyers: I've done the same thing using the mod, and I watched the explosion on external camera - the torpedo exploded just before it contacted the hull and didn't seem to do any real hull damage. Just a huge splash with no sinking destroyer. I remember this was an actual problem with the contact/influence detonators during WWII, and, I think, the default game itself sometimes shows this behavior. The second torpedo hit and set the DD on fire, with a few deck gun shells holing the other compartments enough to sink.

Werner: It seems pretty easy to sink things with the deck gun - I just sprinkle shells all along the water line. Part of it is the high default rate of fire, but I'm still sinking ships using 1 torpedo and about 20 shells, or no torpedoes and about 40. Maybe look into reducing the flooding each deck gun hit can cause?

On my first patrol I've been impressed with the ship sinking times. Very rarely does a ship plummet to the bottom within 10 seconds of being 'killed'. Also, I've seen some remarkably damaged ships still struggling along, just as would happen in real life. Sometimes a large ship can take a lot of bow damage, have a lot of flooding, maybe even be shipping water over the bow, but she won't sink as she is still is displacing enough water from the non-damaged compartments and still has engine power, etc Very refreshing!