View Single Post
Old 06-16-17, 11:07 AM   #27
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Default ‘mummy can you please come get me,’

From the WSJ: It's getting worse:
Quote:
.... has raised questions about whether officials were too slow to address concerns about fire-safety measures in low-income housing. Residents had complained for years that the building wasn’t fire safe, and experts have suggested that the cladding on the building’s exterior may have contributed to the quick spread of the flames. London police commander Stuart Cundy said it is taking time to identify the dead and retrieve them because of the building’s hazardous condition. He said the death toll had reached at least 30, with 12 bodies taken to the mortuary and more still inside the building.
“I do believe the number [of dead] will increase,” he said. On Thursday, he had said he was hopeful that the toll wouldn’t reach more than 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
This was always my worst concern at Geneva Towers (two twin 22 floor Federal subsidized housing bldgs);edit: at least the firestair escapes were outside on the hallway exits....from which we patrolled each of 22 floors and three parking garage levels; five times a shift! Bed smokers, crack pipes (think Richard Pryor's accident here) and empty coffee makers left on were always issues. I always made sure my patrol partner could smell well...
Quote:
Around 1:30 a.m. Wednesday, Jessica made two calls from a stranger’s phone to her mother, who was outside the building, to tell her she was making her way down the stairwell with some neighbors.
“She said ‘mummy can you please come get me,’ but they’d already stopped letting people in a couple of minutes earlier,” Mr. Ruiz said.
Mr. Ruiz said he and his family are regularly checking all hospitals that are treating the injured.
“We’re not giving up hope. It’s Jessica’s birthday next month.”
Interior unpressurized fire escape stairwells are smoke filled death-traps in older unrenovated highrises.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote