Thread: DUI Stories
View Single Post
Old 07-13-18, 09:11 PM   #11
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2412132&postcount=788
Quote:
That is the first rule of defensive driving and nothing in 42 years of getting paid for being behind the wheel has altered my conclusion. Including last night while out on a work call! While returning home late, a vehicle driving erratically in excess of 70 mph in the dark was showering huge sparks for a hundred feet and wobbling badly. As I attempted to pass I noted a young lady with no front left tyre-just the bare rim causing the spark shower! oddly a '05 Corolla exactly like mine- with front wheel drive! I turned on the interior dome-lite- got her attention and motioned her to the shoulder of a busy highway, pulled in behind, and called 911. She was quite upset, crying and incoherent-out of all proportion to a routine flat tyre problem IMHO. After nearly an hour detainment-making sure she did not exit her vehicle on a hazardous roadside, the CHP arrived. Two young officers: they field tested, breathalysed and handcuffed the young lass. The DUI will seem a light case and the lesser of two evils: she would have killed herself or others within a few more miles at that speed on a badly disintegrated rim. The roadway in that area, until a recent just completed and costly renovation, was called Blood Alley.

Quote:
Well the wheels of justice took their time but the young lady finally got her day in court today(13 months later) before a jury of her peers! Both the defense and prosecution subpoenaed me for the prelim and the 2-day trial and I got to hear the recording of my call to 911 ( Squeaky me: I should join the Vienna boy's choir) from over a year ago. Basically I prevented both a major canyon fire (bone dry windy conditions with all fire signs in the RED) and a head-on collision from a missing LEFT front tire on a rapidly disintegrating left front rim. The chase at 70+ mph was over 4 miles! I still don't know the verdict, as I left immediately after testifying. As the only witness and essentially the 'detaining officer', the judge, both attorney's thanked me; as did the CHP officer "for a great night" and, surprisingly, also the mother and the young lady on trial-apparently she is an only daughter....
EDIT: AFTER THREE MONTHS' INTERVAL, I CALLED THE DEFENSE INVESTIGATOR: THE YOUNG LASS HAD BEEN CONVICTED ON TWO COUNTS REALATED TO DUI ISSUES. __________________

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote