View Single Post
Old 08-29-17, 04:35 AM   #175
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Maybe the plane is ricochetting on the sea surface? Try resetting its max speed to 380 kts and reduce the rebound coefficient (in CollisionableObject controller) instead
It looks like ricochetting, but it's not : the airplane crashes, sinks a few meters below the surface, and rise again to the surface without loosing speed. But I will try to change this setting (rebound coefficient), thanks for the advise. I saw it too, but it's only 0,05, so I decided to not try to change it. But, we never know with this strange hardcode ...

Quote:
That's not a joke lol: airborne depth charges, air torpedoes and ASW bombs ricochetting on the sea surface was a factor that the Allies had to deal with. There are even records of bombs jumping back and exploding against the low-altitude patrol craft that had dropped them. For minimizing/avoiding that risk, pilots were instructed to drop their explosives only at certain speeds/altitudes/angles of attack, and in the course of WWII air ordnance was fitted with a variety of weird-looking appendices whose function was to increase water penetration
Exactly ! I was watching an allied training film dealing with that problem a few months ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
so instead of skipping stones on the water, Kendras is skipping planes... - now to just do that with some bombs...
The Allies destroyed a German dam at the end of the war, with a special ricochetting bomb.

Quote:
I think that could be mimicked in game by making air bombs collisionable and by playing with their rebound coeffcients, but a lot of testing and fine-tunig would be required if we wanted to simulate the different water penetrations of the many bomb marks/mods used during the war
Now, I'm more looking towards air dropped torpedoes ...