View Single Post
Old 01-12-11, 07:43 PM   #7
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Part 4 - Video Playthrough

In this part, we go from gate to gate - from a cold and dark cockpit at Gate 4 in Buffalo, to leaving the aircraft after our flight at the E terminal in Charlotte.

As I said in my introduction, this is a series of videos with nothing but game sounds + my occasional voiceover commentary. I know I'm not the world's most exciting speaker or have the best microphone, but I hope my comments provide a bit of context for what I'm doing during the flight and what goes into flying this airplane. The videos are split into six 10-minute parts covering all aspects of the flight except the planning stage discussed in the above posts. Watch on if you're interested, and then come back to my next installment for a quick post-flight debriefing!

Part 1 - Startup and Pushback

(click to watch on youtube)

This video covers the preparation and startup procedure - going from a cold and dark cockpit to power up the aircraft system, checking and configuring the aircraft for the upcoming flight, entering our route information, loading up the passengers, asking for clearance from traffic control, then pushing back from the gate and starting our engines. At the end of this video, the aircraft is ready to go.

Part 2 - Taxi, Takeoff and Climbout

In this video, we begin with the aircraft ready to go under its own power. We taxi toward the runway, hold for landing traffic, then get our takeoff clearance and power through a climb above upstate New York, on our way to our cruising altitude of 36000ft.

Part 3 - Cruise

This part takes us from just before the top of our climb, to the top of our descent, as we let the autopilot take control while keeping a close eye on fuel consumption, traffic, weather and arrival plans.

Part 4 - Descent

This part takes us from our initial descent to the beginning of our approach clearance, as we receive instructions on our arrival and prepare to enter busy airspace around the airport.

Part 5 - Approach and Landing

In the last stage of our flight, we fly a series of precise maneuvers through tightly controlled airspace and bring our aircraft to a smooth landing at Charlotte.

Part 6 - Parking and Review

We pull up to the E terminal at Charlotte-Douglas International Airport, shut down our engines, and let the passengers off the aircraft. Afterwards, we also view replays of our landing, first from a passenger perspective, then from an external camera.

This concludes the flight! Up next is the final debriefing.

To be continued....

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote