View Single Post
Old 07-14-12, 05:36 PM   #1550
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonci87 View Post
Will the player be able to shoot those blimps?
I think USS dirigibles were inflated with helium, an inert gas, rather than with the highly explosive hydrogen. On the other hand, I don't know how many bullets would have been needed for them to deflate and start loosing altitude, but I guess many.

All in all, I think the bigger risk occurred to WWII american blimps was their coating paints taking fire, but it is hard if not impossible that U-boat Flak gun's bullets could have caused such a damage...

EDIT:

from wikipedia:

"Only one airship was ever destroyed by U-boat: on the night of 18/19 July 1943, a K-class airship (K-74) from ZP-21 division was patrolling the coastline near Florida. Using radar, the airship located a surfaced German submarine. The K-74 made her attack run but the U-boat opened fire first. K-74's depth charges did not release as she crossed the U-boat and the K-74 received serious damage, losing gas pressure and an engine but landing in the water without loss of life. The crew was rescued by patrol boats in the morning, but one crewman, Aviation Machinist's Mate Second Class Isadore Stessel, died from a shark attack."

Too bad as far as I know noone managed to make damaged aircraft to loose altitude and sink in water, rather than exploding in a big ball of fire and literally disintegrate in air

Last edited by gap; 07-14-12 at 07:09 PM.
gap is offline   Reply With Quote