View Single Post
Old 11-06-17, 03:17 PM   #4
CaptainCruise
Eternal Patrol

Location: Long Island, New York...home of the 5 gallon economy bucket of "Cruiser's Crunchy Egg Salad"!!!
Downloads: 344
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgard View Post
I like the Ultimate level. The only thing I really notice is that enemy groups seem to run in my direction on the strategic map if a satellite of patrol plane notices me. It causes me to use weapons quicker and getting back to Holy Loch is not the easiest.

I would like to see more ship helos in the air during a surface encounter. As a ship CDR I would immediately launch my helo, thereby, a surface group would have 3-5 helos in the air. Would raise the challenge.
That is exactly what is suppose to happen when a satellite or patrol plane spots you. The word goes out and any ASW group in the area will steam to your position to attack.

I've seen up to 4 helo's and 1 or 2 fixed wing aircraft in the air around me at the same time on several occasions. It depends on the mission and what type of group you are up against. If it's a carrier group, you'll see more helo's. If it's a missile strike against a land target, you'll have helo's from the surface ships and land based ASW aircraft joining the party hunting you down. The smaller vanilla missions with only 2 or 3 ships won't have as many helo's in the air at once. They'll have one ready aircraft in the air and a 2nd helo usually at +5 or +30 on standby to launch when the 1st helo lands. I don't think it was common practice to have both up at the same time because when they both have to land they'll have a down period when no helo's are in the air at all. They would probably make sure they had constant coverage.
CaptainCruise is offline   Reply With Quote