View Single Post
Old 07-12-17, 12:36 PM   #15
Destex
Sailor man

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiz33 View Post
ESM should give you more information than is currently available in game. Not only will it give you a pretty precise bearing, it should tell you what kind of radar it is (base on frequency and pulse rate and other info) which would allow you to narrow if not nail the exact platform, and once you have that info, you can estimate range based on the signal strength.

You can get the bearing and narrow or ID any platform using active sonar the same way. Range however will be much harder and it would depends a lot on the strength of the surface duct, the strength and depth of the layer, your depth and a bunch of other things.
All true, I should know as I operated one on a sub
However, I doubt that you could find a submarine ESM mast in the cold war era that gave a bearing accuracy that could be used for TMA analysis. TMA requires accurate bearing measurements, and a sub mast ESM bearing accuracy cannot provide that. I doubt that in the Cold War there were ESM masts that could provide an accuracy better than 5 degrees and I'm being generous. With 5 degrees variation you simply cannot do effective TMA. Sure you can very roughly assess the range based on the received intensity level, but that's very susceptible to all kinds of environmental variables. You could also determine very rough courses or maximum ranges based on the bearing variation over a long periods of times but that's barely meet what we usually refer to here as a firing solution TMA.