View Single Post
Old 12-05-13, 04:51 PM   #2
Herman
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 269
Uploads: 1046

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Dingo View Post
thats a direct quote from the matrix store page. But is it really true?

for $90+ I really want to be sure of what i'm getting into. I've watched about 5 long 'lets play' type videos of this title and i'm seeing substantial micromanagement.
No, you have the correct impression. If you want any chance of actual success, you need to micro-manage it (just like Harpoon). To set up and let the AI handle all the warfare usually ends in failure when the AI does something stupid.

Also, to get around many of the problems, the answer is always: Go Manual.

For example, if you hit the refueling problems and your tankers crash when they give away too much gas so that they cannot return to base, the answer is: Go Manual; when the AI fires off all your SAMs at low PoK targets, the answer is: Go Manual; and so on.

Quote:
What i'm looking to have answered is related to the title of the thread. Will these dots on the map fight on their own if given basic orders? (auto-engage etc). Ive seen things like ROE on some videos.
Like in Harpoon, the dots/units will act on their own volition. The RoE settings allow you a modicum of control over their behaviour. For example, you can set the RoE so that targets that are imperfectly detected might be engaged. Personally, I always minimize the RoE and maintain total control over my units. Otherwise, I feel that they are destined to do dumb things and just get themselves into trouble. However, players can grant the AI total control over all their units by assigning them to the basic missions/orders.

Quote:
other things i'd like to know: Is there such thing as crew experience or veterancy? If I were to advocate against simulations such as this, i'd use terms like "spreadsheet war".

allow me a small example: During the Battle of Midway one of the most marked differences between Japanese and American Naval forces turned out being the superior damage control and fire-fighting abilities of the USN. Japanese ship design and lack of damage control discipline contributed to the loss of 4 carriers and 1 cruiser.
Crew experience is not a factor nor controllable. A new feature that is not yet officially published is the ability to set the pilot qualities for an entire side (but not individual units). Therefore, you can supposedly set all pilots on the NATO side to Veterans or Aces, but not separate units or planes.

Damage reports can be observed and monitored, but there is no player control over DControl operations. You can see which systems are damaged, fires, and the level of flooding, but have no influence over DC efforts. Scenario designers are unable to set the DC competency of any sides.

Quote:
another question I have is are any manner of land forces in this game? even just for purposes of victory conditions, can say marines be landed somewhere to 'take' an objective? Or am I simply making my blue dots eliminate the red dots on google earth?
Mobile land forces are present in this game. However, the manner in which you deliver them is a bit odd. You do not 'deploy' them from aircraft or ships. Instead, when your transport aircraft or landing ship arrives at the destination, the land unit is magically "teleported" (developer's exact description) to that location. The unit can then move around and engage enemy units. The land units can be used for the purposes of Victory Conditions either by eliminating enemy units or simply by their arrival within a pre-determined location.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it
4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions
Herman is offline   Reply With Quote