View Single Post
Old 04-18-16, 06:51 PM   #4
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeye_777 View Post
it says to unpack them to the mod folder in my SH4 directory. but I don't see any folders named Mod. Am I supposed to make a folder named Mod?
A lot (most (all?)) of the mods you'll find are set up for JSGME (JonesSoft Generic Mod Enabler), which you can find out about here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=156898. It's a useful tool that allows you to install and remove mods, keeps track of what files have been changed, and generally makes your life a lot easier if you want to go about modding Silent Hunter games (Or any others. It is "generic", after all!)

Once you download JSGME, you put the jsgme.exe file in your SH4 directory, and run it. It will create the MODS folder if you haven't already done so. Copy whatever mods you want into the MODS folder. Then you just run jsgme.exe. You'll see a window with two panes. On the left, you'll see a list of all the mods you have in the MODS folder. On the right, you'll see a list of all the mods you have installed with JSGME. It will be blank, of course.

Now, select the mod on the left that you wish to install. Click the right arrow button ">", and it will move the mod to the right pane, and copy the files from the mod to the game's Data folder. JSGME also makes a backup of which files were modified, and when you uninstall the mod, it will copy those files back to give you an unmodified version of the game.

For example, here is my MODS directory:

And here is JSGME:

Welcome aboard, and feel free to ask any questions. (We'll only laugh a little bit.)