View Single Post
Old 08-25-17, 01:21 PM   #8
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

My short answer is no, I would not play it.

But to expand on that, if the gameplay were exceptionally compelling, of course I would. I struggle though, to envision such a game. How can you make 'station keeping' compelling? That's for the developers to figure out I suppose.

However.... I would love to see an operation level sub game. Something where you are taking on the role of Admirals Lockwood or Donitz for example. This could certainly work in a 2D game. Sort of like Europa Universalis but for submarines.

Imagine having control over patrol locations and ULTRA info. Protecting sea lane communications, prosecuting the tonnage war, deciding which new technologies to run with and which to shelve. Who do you promote to command, who gets relieved?

Imagine a completely dynamic campaign. Does the fact that that sub you sent out is failing to respond or transmit mean it's gone, or simply a faulty R/T? Analyzing enemy shipping traffic reports to best place your boats. An enemy that reacts to what you do, and you to it. Will you send that boat back to Mare Island for refit, or send it out on another patrol, possibly one too many for the boat or the strain on the crew?

The possibilities are many, and I would buy this game provided it was truly dynamic and had the complexity and unpredictability of a game like EU IV.