View Single Post
Old 11-02-08, 09:46 AM   #53
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

Downloads: 146
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Gruber
@PT.....I have to say mate, the ships look brilliant in calmer weather now. Very solid in the water, cutting through the sea rather than "riding" it. In rougher seas though they seem quite low in the water and that's why their decks are quite awash.

In theory, the ships should go from (a) cutting through the sea in calm waters to (b) side to side roll in rougher waters and finally (c) "cork-screwing" in the roughest waters. Its the energy of the sea that should make them "bob", so no bobbing in calm waters (no energy), some bobbing in medium waters and chaotic cyclic motion in roughest waters.

I'm curious, does the SH3 engine allow a sliding scale of "bobbyness" as the weather worsens ? Because if you could keep everything as it is in your video but get the ships to rise up a little in the rogher weather states then i'd say the decks will be a little less awash and you'll have solved the whole shebang.

Excellent work though, amazing really after nearly 4 years in the public eye.
Thank you very much!

As I said above, to Graf Paper, the lack of bobbing is necessary to keep the ships low on the water in heavy waters without sinking on it's own.

But if is a general opinion that the ships should go more up and down on the water in heavy seas, that can be made. In my opinion it's looking great the way it is. You need to note that the small merchant was going up and down a lot, while the large tanker was not. Why? The large tanker is heavier, longer and LARGER! That would make it go steadier in heavy waters.

I think it looks great, but then again, I had never been on a ship, so I don't know how much would be the bobbing in rough waters. A good video would be great, anyone have one?