View Single Post
Old 01-08-07, 12:02 PM   #27
SaxMan
Swabbie

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0

Ah, Xabba, I figured I'd draw you out....
Let's see here - I never stated that SCS was not suppording modding; what I meant was that they are actively telling us we can't change the .dll and the .exe files, which we paid good $ for. That to me is BS; the only thing they could possibly object to is the distribution of such modded files, and I'm calling the issue out by asking why again. I'm asking this again because the "we can't do it because Uncle Sam won't let us" is a somewhat weak excuse (but nobody seems to know for sure).
I never said that they promised to release an expansion pack; I was objecting to the anti- .exe and .dll modding attitude when it seemed clear from the beginning that they would never have the funding to release an expansion pack.
I've gone on record here saying that I was thankful for the work that Luft (and many, many others) have done with this sim.
You are basically asking me to change my opinion about the value of extra driveables. This doesn't make sense. If I could/would/had time to program my own sim, I wouldn't even be here to begin with.
Once again I restate my thesis - the answers (from SCS and others who are against .dll and .exe modding) just don't seem intellectually satisfying enough. Why should the US Navy (or any other navy) care if we "hack" the .dll or .exe files?