View Single Post
Old 01-05-07, 10:20 AM   #22
Jamie
Sonalysts Inc.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Thank you for the link to Virtual Battlespace 1/2, I had heard of it previously but have not revisited their site in quite some time. Apologize for my confusion with that, but I think my statements probably still apply to their efforts on VBS as they did for OFP (or at least, to some degree).

Oneshot makes the point pretty succinctly in that our approach at Sonalysts is that we try to leverage our technical assets in as many ways as we can via multiple products, SBIRs, and proposals. Because of that, however, our team can get "spread pretty thin" at times as we work on multiple projects simultaneously and have to provide support to those new customers (in addition to the support I/we try to provide to our commercial customers).

Bohemia Interactive just takes a different approach with their team members (or so it seems). They work on a codebase as a team and refine it to a high-gloss shine with the intention of eventually selling to civilian and govt customers, eventually. They focus intently on that and can try to maximize their time and efforts on that ONE product-base (whether it be OFP, AA, or VBS series). Also, although no one likes to talk about this, being located in the Czech Republic has its advantages with regards to production costs (it's just a reality, not an excuse on my part).

In our case, our team (which consists of about 10-12 members) could be working on upwards of 5 projects for various customers, at the same time... it's just a different approach. Both are fairly profitable, I assume.

Also, there is nothing than cannot be modded in DW which wasn't modded in SC (i.e. SCX and other efforts). If anything, I've been trying to foster the mod scene moreso for this game than any of our past efforts. However, I just think that there were some intensely dedicated people who worked on the mods for SC and FC that put in a tremendous amount of time to yield the eventual results of those mods... I am confident that the same could happen with DW if a team was constructed with similar goals.

Oneshot, no offense taken whatsoever... DW is an ASW sim, no doubt. It could take quite a bit of modification to make it the "virtual naval battlefield" that everyone is hoping for... Which doesn't mean we aren't aspiring to do that, of course.
Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote