View Single Post
Old 01-23-12, 08:51 AM   #906
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi_2005 View Post
Came across an interesting quest, they could be anywhere right no arrow pointing to where each one is so this is a dungeon crawl. Oh goodie.

<"unusual gems" quest pic>
I don't think I've found any of these in a dungeon yet. All the ones I have seen were on display in the inhabited dwellings of various notable NPCs, I think most of the time you only have access to them if you have completed a particular quest or are in the process of carrying one out which is what gives you access to the different locations.

At least one of them comes as part of the purchased decorations for a property you can buy in one of the holds. Some of them are in the possession of people you may or may not become friendly with, and becoming friendly with them is what gives you access. Or I guess you could steal them if you know where they are, but I haven't played that type of character.

I don't know why I picked up one of them again, I knew from my last character that I had to start the Thieves Guild thing just to get on ID on it and I didn't really want to do that this time around. And as the mouse is hovering over it my brain is saying "don't take it don't take it don't take it" but my finger had a mind of its own, I guess. Now with one stuck in my inventory anyway I just pick them up when I find them, altho I don't think I will be able to collect them all since I'm pretty sure I may never have access to all of them given the different requirements involved.

As of this weekend I've completed my goal to become Thane of every hold except Eastmarch, I will take care of that in the course of playing out the Civil War questline when I get to it. I wasn't going to do it but one of the benefits of getting myself sorted with Enchanting and Smithing was that I made so much money selling off all the stuff I crafted that I had a serious excess of coin, lol. Plenty enough to buy the house in Solitude and get it fully decorated and after that it was like well pfffffffffffft I might as well start making a habit of this. It *is* nice to have different places to unload loot instead of having to drop it or find someone to buy it or else hoof it all the way back to Whiterun. And there are some halfway decent mods out there that buff out the properties, adding storage and crafting stations which makes it really nice.

Sadly the housecarls all seem to have the same basic attitude. I haven't had any of them except Lydia as a follower so I don't know if the others are any better on adventures but at home it's just the same old same old in a (sometimes) different voice. I shall have to decide which two of them are annoying enough to join Lydia as Blade recruits later on. Probably the ones from houses where I can't avoid them, the ones in the larger homes with multiple stories and entrances are probably safe.

Oh and I got Thu'umed twice! In two different dungeon quests, by the boss draugr at the end of each. Those leveled bosses are getting pretty nasty. It is very disconcerting to go through an entire dungeon taking out draugr after pathetic low-level draugr with one flaming arrow each, most of them sneak attacks and sometimes on draugr who haven't even gotten up to fight you yet - and then have the main guy at the end not want to die so easily.

Unrelenting Force both times and I got a nice little cinema clip of myself being tossed back on my butt. Joke was on the draugr, though, because when they Thu'umed me it was in response to me Thu'uming them only my Thu'um was Marked For Death, so neener neener.

Last edited by frau kaleun; 01-23-12 at 09:13 AM.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote