View Single Post
Old 08-01-13, 02:57 PM   #154
Hawk66
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 36
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julhelm View Post
For me it has to be that DW and the Sonalysts games in general are too much like technical demonstrations than immersive games the likes of Seawolf or Red Storm Rising. It's kind of like how Black Shark is much more advanced simulator yet in ways a much lesser sim than Gunship 2000 was 20 years ago.
Yes, that is true and if I have one major criticism concerning DW than that they might should have put a little more effort in getting away from the look-and-feel of a navy trainer but emphasizing (optionally) more the captain's view like in RedStormRising. You're right, RSR is still unbeaten when it comes to transporting a strong theme (cold war) within a nuclear submarine simulator.
What I really find astonishing is that even after more than 20 years there are still new reviews about this sim published in different languages and all those reviews are transporting the same message: How is it possible that such an old software creates such a tense atmosphere with minimal graphics&audio and compared to today's standard with a minimal budget.

What I've also realized is that apart from the power of the mission editor in DW, which is boosted by undocumented features - like the possibility to fine-control individual AI units, the majority of the people do not have the time or the passion to play with this tool. I think that more or less all Microprose simulations from the 80's and early 90's had dynamic campaigns, was a big contributor to their success.
Hawk66 is offline   Reply With Quote