View Single Post
Old 05-21-10, 02:06 PM   #6
peabody
Admiral

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred8615 View Post
That's pretty much it. What I was missing was the PatrolObjectives.cfg.

While I'm writing, I thought of something else awhile ago. Say I'm patrolling on Dec. 4th and spot a Jap task force. If I send in a contact report, it'll tell me to sink ships, even though there's no war. The contact reports are loaded by the DynamicMISS.cfg, so in order to not have those display until after the 7th, I should change the start dates in the cfg? And then create and add new ones?
I haven't tested with any Dynamic missions but that makes sense that it should work. You could run a little test mission to see what happens. I would think the first 'mission' could be a "follow them' type of thing. Maybe a huge "Patrol area" with a message to follow and maintain contact. Certainly not easy submerged, so do you move away and risk losing them? Hmmmmm....
Once the planes are launched then you get to play President....what do you do? It is a fact that the US fired the first shot in the Pacific war at a minisub outside the harbor entrance. But can you attack some ships "on a training mission"?

Just a note on the "return to Pearl and shooting at the planes". You may get sunk and end your career right there. And a LOT of planes will lag the game terribly for most computers.

Another thing to consider, Pearl has "Locations" that are actually the destroyed ships. If you plan to be in Pearl, that won't look right. You may want to replace them with actual Battleships and have the 'wrecks' appear later. They are in Campaign.LOC.mis, you could load it, delete the wrecks and save a new copy with a different filename and dates. Then have the original reload after Dec 7th. The problem you may run into is the planes get shot down and don't destroy the Battleships.

Also, from another quote in your explaination.

[quote]One other thing I'm hoping to do is include the PH attack in the game. The Jap task force is already modeled, so I thought about patrols north of Hawaii, where the sub might *accidentally* encounter it.[quote]

The attack force is in the game but it will not work right. (I don't think) I looked at it and the Task Force is where is belongs (about) in Nov 41 but they did NOT select "evolve from entry date" so it will not move prior to the starting date of the mission Dec 7.
So it will not be where it belongs. So if you want to use it, you will have to redo it. But you can not change the "evolve from entry date" without separating the "group", make the change and then 'regroup' them. I have also not tested to see if 'evolve from entry date' will work before the actual game starts. I know it works during the game, but I don't know if it will work at the beginning.
So set the starting date and have it evolve from entry date so it will move even before you start your mission to intercept it.

The way I would test it is this:
1. Correct the Pearl attack mission date and set to evolve from entry date and save it. You can test it in the mission editor using the play buttons, and time compress.
2. Create a NEW mission, then merge the Pearl Harbor attack mission, do NOT select to Merge as Saveable. You don't want to save it you want the game to load it. By merging it you will know exactly where they are and can position your sub in the exact spot it should be in. Make sure you zoom way in so you are not hundreds of miles away and think you are right on top of them. Once you have your sub in the proper location at the proper time, save it as a Single Mission and test it. Because the 'merged' mission is not set as saveable, you will only get your mission with your sub in it. The game will load the rest, we hope.

You may already know this stuff, I don't know, you seem to know some of how this works. So I do not mean to insult you if you already know.

Good luck with your project.

See how a simple little idea turns into a major project?

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

Last edited by peabody; 05-21-10 at 02:28 PM.
peabody is offline   Reply With Quote