View Single Post
Old 07-01-15, 06:16 PM   #1
Bryll
Watch

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default "Objects in Space" - if Space Ships were Nuclear Submarines

So, I debated whether to put this here or under 'projects', but in almost every way I think it makes more sense to post here. (But I won't be irked if a Mod moves it)

So, I've been a long-time SubSim lurker, player and gamer. And also a coder.

Three years ago I began a game development studio with my brother, and I've been toying with building a sub sim for most of that time. The result, just announced, is something very different, but that I think will interest quite a few folks here:

Objects in Space is not a sub-sim, technically - it's a space trading game. But instead of flying around with a joystick, every part of this game is built around modern nuclear submarines. It's even in 2D, with nebulas and asteroid fields providing some break-up to the environment.

Aesthetically, we've borrowed heavily from the cold war submarines we've visited at museums, but with what we're calling a sort of 1980s "modem-punk" style.

It looks like this:

The interior of the ships are 3D-modelled, but I've built a virtual screen system so I can render shiny, submarine-like 2D control systems on each screen. They're a sort of half-way between 688(i) and the interior of the Russian space craft from 2010: The Year We Make Contact.

The main mechanics involve stealth, emissions control and plotting a solution on enemies (or just avoiding them).

Unlike sub sims, I could make this a lot more configurable than a real sub would be, so your ships are fully customisable. You can yank out one system and replace it for another, and even define which systems you want on or off during EMCON mode.

Anyway, I'm hoping some of you are interested. It's just been announced, and it's in alpha now, and I'd love to hear what those of you who share my love of submarines think of the idea!

You can read more at the game's web site, but please post me questions here if you've got any!

http://www.objectsgame.com/

Rohan Harris
Flat Earth Games
Sydney, Australia
Bryll is offline   Reply With Quote