Thread: Subsims, eh?
View Single Post
Old 11-09-14, 05:43 PM   #8
Wolfstriked
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 230
Uploads: 0

OMG V-I-C!!! That is great news to me.I get a kick out of the sub physics,up there with calculating torpedo solutions and find pleasure from getting depth charged and trying to survive it.

SH series never did the compressed air part of the sub justice and to see you write "The simulation of the boat itself itself is much more detailed than Silent Hunter, no stupid fakes, everything is calculated correctly, from diesel engines over correct hydrodynamics to the airspeed at the nozzle when blowing a tank etc." excites me.

Stuff like an ability to run out of compressed air IMO is one thing lacking in SH series.Right now sub is flooding and all I do is blow ballast,wait for sub to sink deep again and reblow ballast until finally my crew has stopped the flooding.Then I read that as depth increases the pressure does also and at 300m below you have enough to blow ballast one time only.As flooding increases I would love ability to slowly add air to prevent further sinking.

Also,I have for the longest time wondered how long it took to actually fill the compressed air tanks and had a suspicion it was much longer than what we have in game.A surfaced sub is blown fully with a 10lb compressor to save the compressed air always made me question the way its modeled in SH series.I recently found this web page of a link to stats of a Type VIIC. http://www.uboatarchive.net/Manual.htm

Diesel air compressor. Type VIIC U-boats since Boat No. ____ are provided with one electric air compressor and one diesel air compressor. The diesel air compressor is a horizontal, double piston, two-stroke diesel engine with free pistons which are directly coupled with a four-stage compressor. Its performance is 8.5 liters/minute at 205 kg/cm².

High pressure compressed air flasks. Compressed air is stored in 12 high pressure air flasks with total capacity of 3.900 m3. Each flask has capacity of 325 liters and is tested at pressure of 280 at.

I am no math guy,please tell me is my math wrong in thinking that it takes around 40 minutes to fill just one flask and so takes 8 hours to refill the full compressed air amount?
Wolfstriked is offline   Reply With Quote