View Single Post
Old 09-15-08, 11:55 AM   #16
Frame57
Sea Lord

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0

Hippo, you make some good points. When Sonalysts made the earlier games, this was the dilemma: to make a sim/game that most everyone could play and enjoy. To have a full blown "sim" is boring for people. In fact i have a friend who has a 'Train simulator' and i find it boring, but he loves it because trains are his passion.

As great as these games are they ust do not offer the ability to really engage submarine combat tactics. How do you, when sonar cannot tell you if a torpedo is inbound or not? A tactic that would be fun especially dealing with very quiet subs, like a Kilo for example. Lets say Sonar picks up a faint contact. You as CO with OP orders know that no friendlies should be in the area. I would set the torp for what is called a "swimout" which means you flood the tube and do not fire the torpedo with high pressure air driving a ram which pushes the torpedo out and is noisy. So the fish swims out set at a lower speed. You now change course and listen to see if this suspect contact makes a run for it if the torpedo has aquired anything. the more I analyze this game the less i see it as a simulator.
Frame57 is offline   Reply With Quote