View Single Post
Old 02-10-11, 04:24 PM   #39
Vanilla
Lieutenant

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelix View Post
No movement can not keep the boat at a given depth, even on modern boats. The thing that is impossible to perfectly balance the boat for holding at the desired depth without motion. The boat will tend either to surface or the bottom. Therefore, to keep the depth of the boat had to be at least a minimum speed that seaplanes could keep a boat at depth.
Therefore, keeping the depth of no motion, I believe than the fantastic and the game it's always annoyed me. How, indeed, falling through to a depth at low speed.
Now imagine yourself a real kaleun in a sub at 200m depth with a couple of DDs overhead. You are trying to be as quite as possible but notice that your submarine is constantly falling down to dangerous depth unless you keep 5 knots of speed. Do you think a kaleun would not 'politely ask' his LI to dump 50-100l of ballast so he can keep silent running? I would defenitely do rather than be forced to choose between dying of depth because of sinking or DCs because of giving out my position. LI and trim system are there for a reason.
The bouyancy is obviously tricky to control but not impossible. And there is more than enough boyancy in all the tanks to keep level or rise at any depth - remember that the tanks volume (read bouyancy) is almost constant (unless damaged or crushed) with changing depth. And 1-2 knots is pretty much enough for horizontal planes to be effective in precise depth control.

Given all that I would agree that it is realistic if we would see some vertical speed, but random and dependent on depth, speed and damage, i.e. -15m after 10 minutes and +17 minutes after another 10 minutes at 100m depth at dead stop. Not constant -1m/s sinking we see now in vanilla - I would kill my LI I guess, if I'd seen that in RL.
Moreover I would love to see some compressed air consumption when submerged to simulate trimming, ideally dependent on speed, depth and of course damage. And that would be awesome to see some radical drop down some 40-50m down with some generous compressed air dump when a tank is crushed to simulate neutral bouyancy disruption and consecutive stabilising efforts through ballast dumping.
Vanilla is offline   Reply With Quote