View Single Post
Old 07-24-12, 01:25 AM   #40
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 4

@SubLynx:

Quote:
This Fido thing sounds really really nasty. I have to try it. Does it really mean that every time after July 1st 1943 that when there is a plane dropping dc's, there is also an acoustic torpedo to avoid??
No, only when an aircraft drops depthcharges so close to your submerged U-boat that previously you received the warning 'Depth charges in the water, sir'. This does not happen often.

Quote:
Historically Fido did not work at lower depths. Is it like this also with your mod? Am I safe if I get to a depth lower than 50 meters?
You are not safe when deeper than 50m.

Quote:
Do you know if the Germans knew about Fido? And if they did, when did they know about it? Did they know what to do to avoid it?
A spy in the USA informed the Germans (1944) that an industrial plant was manufacturing acoustic air torpedoes. BdU chose not to believe the report.
If they had taken the report seriously, the U-boat could have deployed a noise-sounding device like a foxer, or even tried to use the bubble-producing Bold device as a decoy. And, of course, the U-boat could submerge slower.

It is strange, though, that BdU never seriously considered that the Allies might be using the same kind of weapon that U-boats were now carrying in their own torpedo tubes - an acoustic homing torpedo.

Stiebler.
Stiebler is offline   Reply With Quote