View Single Post
Old 09-12-11, 08:19 AM   #3177
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

-7.5 would still be over 3 times the setting TMO use to have (which is one of the reasons many gamers called the TMO planes "wicked"). It's certainly conceivable that a decimal point was placed wrong. Who knows?

I should point out that this modifier (MinSurface=) is not referring to the amount of depth below the surface of water an object can be seen.

No, no, this modifier refers to the minimum surface area size an object must be, in order for "whatever" it's modifying (in this case visual detection) to trigger the event. This modifier appears in several other possible "events" that set off an AI response, so it's not just for planes visual attributes. Since were talking about the problem of having a sub detected at unbelievable distances while underwater, I can see where a person may get the wrong idea about this modifier. You have to relate the function of the event (visual detection) to a default occurrence (visible/invisible). Once that default threshold is met, different modifiers can change the event (visual detection) either one way or another. In this modifier, an object meets the threshold point for the event by setting the minimum size, or surface area it needs to be (in this case it's -75.0 smaller than what the stock size would be to trigger the event).

Does water play a factor in the ability/inability to be visually detected? My personal belief, it doesn't at all. Water isn't the deciding factor. The object size and distance between objects plays the deciding factors that will trigger the event. Think of it this way, the sub can't fly, and the planes don't swim. There's a point in vertical height that neither will cross. To "see" an object beyond this barrier requires knowing what size an object must be to be detectable and the distance between one and the other.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"