View Single Post
Old 01-07-13, 08:19 AM   #27
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNSRCaseySmith View Post
Well the thing is it has only happened once or twice. I have come to the conclusion today that the OOM errors do not occure at a specific time, or weather pattern as well. Yesterday I flew a 30 minute flight in a 737, and today I flew an hour and a half flight around Honolulu in a Cessna.
Well, that leads me to assuming - as a relative tech novice - that it is something with the memory allocation, in other words: something in the system. But it could also be that when some function or dll inside FSX gets called up, it breaks, when it is a bad dll, or gauge. HJowever, you have not installed any suspicious addon stuff, and I assume you have not changed Windows dll's for other purposes that FSX is using, too. - So - I am not really able to help there, you must find a tech guru and/or ask at a forum where more knowing guys can analyse it.

Quote:
Go ahead and take those links down, I cannot use them really from these computers as it is, once I get my personal internet set up in the next few weeks, if you could post them up again and I can thumb through them.
Will do that. Just ask.

Quote:
I think my case just seems to be like as you said, some times, FSX decides to play nice, and others, not so nice.
While FSX is not coded well, they say, it must be possible to get it into a stable condition nevertheless, considering that you use no addon stuff so far. Symptoms lie this do not show ob without being caused by something. There must be a cause, or several ones.

Quote:
My Graphics Card has its own onboard 2GB dedicated memory. Its an Nvidia 660m.
That should keep you free from any Vid memory allocation problems. Sometimes OOM do not hint at short memory problems at all, but adress problems, that'S why I asked (in principle there still is enough meory space, but the heaps in which it is divided are all smaller than the blocks the software is writing, so while in total there is enough space, the applications runs out of sufficient slots in sufficient sizes to park its stuff in.

Quote:
The only other game I have problems with is SH5 and the problem is that Sobers see through wake fix makes my wakes dark black at night which shouldnt happen, and I get banding in the sky at night. Some have mentioned a driver being responsible, and I have yet to switch to the newest Nvidia 660M driver that came out, I meant to but havent yet. I think I may try it out and then if nothing changes or it gets worse roll back.
Sounds like driver issue indeed. But try several drivers, if the first one does not work. In the past I have tried up to 4 versions when getting a new gfx board before I found a version that worked for all my installed stuff.

Quote:
I am also only runing FSX Im not sure which SP but I want to get Acceleration, is it worth it??
What...??? No SP? Hell, then I do not wonder anymore. That is a no-go, and I see very good chances that your problems will go ionce oyu have installed SP1 and SP2, or get the Acceleration edition (FSX Gold). Those patches added many tehcnical bug fixings, and many if not all addons depend on them being installed.

So: first thing you do is get out there and bring your FSX to the Acceleration standard!

50% + chance that doing so will cure your issues.

Quote:
And about X plane, is its performance on computers more taxing, less, or comparable?
I think it is or is planned to become soon multicore optimised, which FSX is not. That is all I can tell you about it, I do not have it.

I posted a video somewhere down in the forum, for "Polish flyers", so was the title I think. Find that thread and watch the video, it is heavily modded XPlane and some of the modded stuff was made for private use only - , but shows you what is possible with it. Great potential. And ongoing technical developement.

Now an FSX question and story.

So on my long 1.5 hour flight today I got the chance to REALLY play around with the GPS and the systems of the Cessna (Small one) and gotta say I finally figured out the working of the GPS. I was able to find my airports, their elevations, and the runways and even set it to certain approach vectors.

Quote:
Now my question is this, one runway in Honolulu is 4r and 4l and then at the other end its 22r and 22l. So if they direct me to come in on runway 22R does that mean they are having me land from THAT end of the runway? ( I was using VFR rules so I wasnt given a bearing to switch to) Next is what are the keys to see your FPS again? And the keys to do sim speed?
Has been answered by others, I just add this: when you do a full ILS landing, which you probably are tempted to do, be aware that ILS on RW 22w for example does not necessarily mean landing course indeed 220°. It could be anything between 216 to 224. If you set your ILS course to 220, the plane could get steered seriously off the runway, starting with some suicidal last second steep banks to intercept the lost localiser again, and that is a recipe for disaster. The correct course you do not get via radio, but only via maps - printed ones, or the map function in the sim. Check that before you launch. Every flight - needs preparation and planning ahead. The paperwork, that is.

Using the time acceleration in FSX is not recommended. Especially with the more complicated planes (addons) can get seriously out of tact when using it. When you use a real FMC module like the default planes do not have it, most simmers consider time warps to be a big No-no.

If you still want to do it, use it only when on travel altitude and in totally stabilised flight attitude, and stop using it before T/D. There is a menu under "options", I think, for setting up steering and control, where there is a list with all keyboard commands in use. You can reassign them also. You may want to tone down your joystick sensitivity maybe, while you are there. Use a dead zone and a sensitivity of around one third, that should be working well in most situations. Note that the default planes, especially the small ones, are incredibly hysteric grasshoppers. They are not realistic at all. One would risk one's life if boarding a real airplane with flight dynamics like those.

Quote:
Skybird, I know this is alot but I thank you for all of your kindness and help, you are really helping me through this step by step which I appreciate.
Thanks, but so far I am only showing good will, but no real help - I was unable to give you the advise that helps you to solve your issues. I hope that updating your FSX does the trick. Then we can talk addons. Better GPS modules, for example. The nice thing about FSX is that although it is a simplified toy, it is strictly modular in structure, and all and everything can be removed and replaced with something better, turning a toy into a sim. Some aircraft addons rip all the core out of it and place a completely new simulation into FSX superficial framework. And then it is when this title really starts to shine.

Quote:
I have certainly learned alot about flying and am getting better and better every day (No overspeeds anymore And my landings are getting smoother) Thank you sincerely sir
Üben, üben, üben! I hope the FSX update solves your issues, then we can talk the real fun stuff.

P.S. I see that Amazon.com has the Acceleration pack for 21 dollars, and the FSX Gold inclduing all stuff and the defualt version for 27 dollars. Should be possible to get both for less. Acceleration includes Service Packs 1 and 2, and adds additional mission stuff and some planes, I think. Over here I have seen Acceleration pack for around 15 bucks at times.

Could be that you need to retweak the fsx.cfg once Acceleration or Service Packs 1+2 have been installed. I would even consider a complete new installation of FSX alltogether, just to be sure. Don't forget registry cleaning, defrag!