View Single Post
Old 11-04-23, 05:19 PM   #1
rik007
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 122
Uploads: 0
Default Rik007: SH-3 Night surface attack project [REL]

I feel I'm not 20 anymore. So I'm a slow modder and for years SH-3 didnot have my attention anymore but everything came back a year ago when I upgraded my video card...
On an average I now worked a few hours per week on this project which delivers an enabler. Basically it could be a breakthrough or a failure: who knows?
For me it is a breakthrough and I hope it will be the same for you all. I create some movies this week to explain it and some demo's.

First I explain the project itself and my experiments into night surface attacks and what I think of it:

Then an example of a night surface attack in 'Otto Kretschmer-style', unprecedented I think:

Then a sample of the wheather transition bug which is in most environment mods. The wheather will suddenly switch around 00:26:

And the version with a correct - smooth wheather transition:

Then a demo with Northern Lights and detection:

I want to thank:
- Hsie for his exellent hardcode mod. If you read this: a few of your discoveries in your assembly files I re-used!
- hughesjr for his basic voice attack profile (unreachable on Steam)
- Jerry Mason and crew

Here you find the site with the u-boot journals:

https://www.uboatarchive.net/

Go to U-boat KTB for the logs.

Update 29-8-2024: Release 1.20 has arrived
This is what has changed compared to 1.19:

- Date/time bug:
There are multiple date/time variable in sh3. One of them controls the moon and the environment and one is the current date/time you see on the watches etc. The first one is not correct after a save/reload. After a reload this date is set to the start date/time of the current patrol or in case of a first patrol in a campaign this will be start date/time of the campaign. What is expected is that after a safe/reload sh3 should set this date/time to the current date/time.

The effect of this bug is that every time you reload a patrol your environment including the moon phase/position will jump back to the start of the patrol instead of to the current date/time.

The fix implemented in the moon mod for this is to overwrite the date/time for the environment with the current game date/time to make sure the calculations are done with the correct date and the moon and environment are shown as expected.

- SH-5 Moon mod settings for GWX 3.0
Profile for users who use GWX.

Of course I like to thank Fubar295, Dieselglock, JohnCarterOfMars, Doolar & Fitzcarraldo for their help during the testing!

Please find below the link to the project which contains instructions how to install or upgrade. Please read the installation instructions carefully.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/f920w...v1.20.zip/file

Please consult the documentation that comes with the mod but for your convenience:

For people who have never installed the Night surface attack project:

- Add all 1.20 mods from the zip-archive to your MODS folder
- run the patcher
- Enable all 1.20 mods using JSGME

For people who switch from 1.19 to 1.20:

- Disable all 1.19 mods using JSGME
- Remove all 1.19 mods from your MODS folder
- Add all 1.20 mods from the zip-archive to your MODS folder
- run the patcher
- Enable all 1.20 mods using JSGME

Run the patcher:
- Use your explorer to go into your MODS folder. From there go into the folder: SH-5 Patcher.
- Start Sh5PatchExe.bat, follow the instructions ("Press any key to continue") and if you get “Patch done succesfully, you can enable the mod: SH-5 Moon mod" with JSGME!” the patching is done and the "SH-5 Moon mod" is ready to be enabled with JSGME

Remark
For the testers that already have the fix installed there is no added value in the 1.20 except in case you want to use the GWX 3.0 profile.

If you intend to only install the fixes on top of v1.19 then here is the download:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/jx6yl...n_fix.zip/file

Disadvantage is of course that if you go this route that you have to keep the fixes in minds when you are messing with your JSGME mod stack

Regards,

Rik007

Last edited by rik007; 08-29-24 at 03:34 PM.
rik007 is offline   Reply With Quote