View Single Post
Old 09-19-18, 03:43 AM   #7
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
The key word is unlimited. The race is not restricted to wardbird canon and where else will you ever witness such aircraft piston fury? After the first time I went, I couldn't get the sound out of my head and kept trying to hear it in every motor sound I heard.

It's not a huge ordeal to attend, or at least it wasn't the last time which was four or so years ago. You can stay in Reno/Sparks and drive to the event without much trouble.

Actually, the key words are "Bristol Centarus" and those engines and parts are becoming VERY hard to find. The same thing was happening with the Packard Merlin V-12's until a NASCAR team owner (I think it was Jack Roush?) converted one of his engine shops to work on only the Merlins and started producing parts.

Like you said, you fly a vintage warbird differently than a pylon racer. In a warbird, the engine has to last for an entire maint. cycle and then everyone starts acting nervous. With a pylon racer, the engine has to last for a week- maybe.

That was why they started to convert the Furies to run the big P&W radials. While P&W stopped making the engines years ago, they built a lot more of them than Bristol and I think they still produce parts for rebuilds.

Reno is definitely on my bucket list.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote