View Single Post
Old 06-28-15, 10:05 PM   #35
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by makman94 View Post
i see no logic behind all this , why on the max of deflection angle we have the best track angle ?

It isn't really a matter of it being the maximum deflection, per se, but rather the point where the slope is at a minimum. Since the curve is flat at that point, any inaccuracy in the target's course will produce only a slight error at the target. If you are shooting at a 20 kn. target, a Ta of 115° would be ideal (defection of 26°). An error of 5° would give an error of, perhaps ½° (going by the chart). If you want to make an attack with a smaller deflection angle, say for a Ta of 160° (deflection of 14°), it is certainly possible, but your estimate of the target's course better be good; an error of 5° in the Ta, will give an error of about 3½°, much greater than at a Ta of 115°.

To put it another way, as you get away from the optimum track angle, the deflection angle changes faster and faster, making a hit increasingly difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geosub1978 View Post
To be honest, I still try to figure out the logic behind the "MAXIMUM" Deflection Angle.

Personally I believe that it has something to do with the turning rate of the target in the case of evading the torpedoes, or it gives somehow the maximum hit probability in the case of course/speed change or miscalculation which is also the case if the target is turning.
This is a common misunderstanding. We don't know what the target's turning abilities, or evasion abilities are. Calculations aimed at countering these would require specific data, and probably be very involved, as there are so many variables. The scope of the chart and data only encompasses errors in track angle or target's course. (There is a direct relationship between these.) Some writing favored 90° Ta's with the idea that the target must turn more to evade a torpedo, than with other angles. Doctrine wasn't the same everywhere, or at every time.

TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote