View Single Post
Old 08-23-18, 05:04 PM   #20
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Downloads: 33
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caption Ranker View Post
Yeah something's gotta be wrong with my computer. It seems Linux mint has had issues with their sound drivers in the past. I wonder if I should submit a bug to them. I tried to play some Skyrim and the sound worked for a little bit until loaded a new area.

Although it is usually fixable...

Sometimes with Linux, if I'm playing with an area that is new to me, or that I'm out of practice with.... and I mess it up.

Sometimes a re-install can fix it. (Other times, deleting the config files in your /home/[username] will fix it.)
Although, then you have to redo any changes that you know are not the problem.

But for me, installing Fedora is about 20 minutes from "insert DVD" to " boot OS from hard drive", and most of that is me setting up user accounts and passwords.
Add in another 5 minutes if I'm tweaking my RAID setup (which I've found a setup I like now).
Updates may take a while, depending of how long that version has been out (28 now, 29 should be here in a few months) 2 GB worth of updates take about 20 minutes to download and install.

Faster than WinXP... Which would take all day.
Especially with Dotnet.... that always seemed to take forever.

----------------------------------------------------

>>This is the section where I start suggesting swapping out "parts" to see what is broken. <<

You might consider giving another distro a try, you could try a LIVE CD/DVD...
Maybe a version of Ubuntu, which Mint is based on, or Debian (which Ubuntu is based on), or, maybe (just maybe) try something that rides a little closer to the "bleeding edge". Arch or Fedora are a few options.

Just long enough to see if it is MINT.

Start by backing up your SH4 WINE prefix first (just copying it should do),
Install WINE while running the LIVE DVD (which would go away as soon as you reboot), and test if you have sound.

All of the data would be in the default WINE prefix.
Steam, etc. would work (if SH4 is through steam), and you could test that way without needing to install another distro.

If the sound works, then it is an issue with MINT.
If not, then it is a problem with WINE/SH4.

LIVE DVDs, usually won't touch your Hard Drive unless you tell it to.

Just a thought.

Barracuda

Last edited by BarracudaUAK; 08-24-18 at 11:45 PM.
BarracudaUAK is offline   Reply With Quote